Gregory Doyle’s education practice is one of the cornerstones of the firm. We have the largest group of attorneys practicing education law together in the State of Georgia, representing both large and small public school districts across the state.
While public school districts have unique legal needs and challenges, many of the issues that school districts face are similar to those faced by any business. For example, in many counties local school districts are one of, if not the, largest employers in the area. As a result, our attorneys regularly advise our clients on compliance with all employment law including the Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act and Age Discrimination in Employment Act, defend our clients in administrative proceedings, litigation and arbitration matters; and assist with employee benefit and tax matters.
Additionally, local school districts have significant land holdings. Gregory Doyle’s attorneys regularly assist education clients with the acquisitions, development, management and disposition of real property. This includes assisting clients resolving disputes related to the use and ownership of land, including construction and environmental matters.
Our attorneys also routinely assist the firm’s public education clients with contracting, taxation and public finance issues.
Notable Client Highlights
- Represented large public school district in the acquisition and assemblage of 35 acres in connection with development of new school site.
- Submitted Voluntary Correction Programs to the IRS for issues arising from large Metro Atlanta school district’s employee pension plan and negotiated mutually agreeable resolution which resulted in no penalties being assessed against the district.
- Represented major Metro-Atlanta school districts in all aspects of multi-year construction programs in excess of $500 million, including negotiating for program management services, drafting proprietary contract and procurement forms for client use and regularly advising clients on procurement, bid protests, bond lien and payment issues, acceleration and delay claims, contract interpretation and dispute resolution.
- Obtained summary judgement for large local school district in a Section 1983 retaliation claim brought by three terminated bus drivers.
- Defended school district in class action lawsuit brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act by school custodians.
- Successfully negotiated takeover agreement with surety company for two multi-million dollar, multi-phase middle school projects after general contractor’s termination and insolvency.
- Assisted school district in complying with Davis-Bacon Act and related laws in connection with receipt of funds under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, including revising contracts, advising with respect to owner’s oversight obligation and participating in negotiations with U.S. Department of Labor, general contractor and subcontractors with respect to investigations of subcontractors by Department of Labor.