Tom Rogers is a part of the firm’s Corporate and Transactional Department. He advises the owners of closely held businesses with the tax and legal issues of business entity formation, their operation, business continuity planning and tax efficient exit strategies. With over 30 years of experience in the tax, corporate and business law, estate planning and estate administration areas, Mr. Rogers has an exceptional record.
Mr. Rogers obtained his law degree from the University of Georgia School of Law and then went on to obtain his Masters at Law in Taxation from Emory University’s School of Law. Mr. Rogers is also a Certified Public Accountant and uses his knowledge of accounting to better advise business clients.
Mr. Rogers advises families in planning for tax efficient transfers among generations and administrating estates and trusts for his clients.
Tom Rogers is part of the firm’s Corporate and Transactions department it’s Trusts & Estates and Tax Departments.
Outside of his professional practice Mr. Rogers has a varied civic and personal life. He is on the Board of Advisors and former Chair of the Cobb Community Foundation. He is a member of West Cobb Church. He has coached junior basketball and the middle school golf team at the Walker School. On weekends Mr. Rogers enjoys racing his Porsche in Club races.
Notable Client Highlights
- General counsel for a large estate comprised of five active automobile dealerships and varied commercial real estate holdings. Advised on all administration and tax matters including post mortem estate tax planning and compliance; controversy involving caveats to Will in two states; sales of business; division and distribution of assets to varied group of beneficiaries; multi-generation estate tax planning for family; Formed Private Trust Company under Tennessee law.
- Represented purchaser of the stock of a valve and control system company in Atlanta for $10 million.
- Represented seller of international chemical sales company to a French multinational company for a purchase price of $1.5 million.
- Represented owner of Atlanta paving company in the sale of his business and personal goodwill for $11 million in cash, notes and real estate.
- Represented owner of heating and air contractor in purchase of division of national company for $7 million.
- Advised multi-state family with farm and mineral interests to use multiple family entities to manage estate tax issues, anticipate future control and management issues, and protect from non-family member claims against the estate.
- Settled complex estates involving active businesses, real estate, investment assets, criminal allegations against spouse, family suicide, airplane accidents, sudden disease onset, and multistate real estate issues.
- Advised husband and wife, owners of successful business, valued at $10 million with succession planning for son in the business while equalizing value to siblings and implementing this plan including appraisal, gifting strategy, will revisions and shareholder agreements.
- Represented seller of a home health care business to a National company for $10,000,000
Professional & Community Involvement
- Certified Public Accountant
- Board of Advisors, Cobb Community Foundation
- Member, West Cobb Church
- Member, Sports Car Club of America, Porsche Club of America, Historic Sportscar Racing
- Member, Atlanta Estate Planning Council
- Member, Estate Planning Council of North Georgia
- Member, Georgia Society of Certified Public Accountants (North Atlanta Chapter)
- Member, State Bar of Georgia (Fiduciar Law Section)
- Member, Cobb County Bar Association (Elder Law and Business Law Sections)