C. George Kleeman, IV, a member of Gregory Doyle’s Business and Transactional Law practice, assists entrepreneurs who are forming new businesses or seeking to purchase or sell an existing business; represents businesses, private investors, venture capital groups and lenders in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and equity and debt financing transactions; has significant experience drafting all manner of business contracts; and assists clients in resolving business disputes including shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duty suits, shareholder oppression cases and “business divorces,” as well as general contractual disputes.
Mr. Kleeman also represents owners, general contractors and subcontractors in constructions matters, including drafting and negotiating construction contracts, procurement issues, acceleration, disruption and delay claims, payment, bond and lien disputes, and contract interpretation and performance issues.
Mr. Kleeman’s clients include businesses in the energy, insurance, construction, real estate, finance, manufacturing, technology, food services and health care industries.
Notable Client Highlights
Some of Mr. Kleeman’s recent notable client highlights include:
- Representing the trustee of a liquidating trust in connection with the sale and disposal of seven subsidiaries over the course of a three-year period.
- Representing a food processing company in connection with $2.1 million acquisition of a new manufacturing facility in Virginia and the $600,000 acquisition of equipment from a Georgia-based competitor, as well as negotiating a $3 million line of credit to fund expansion and provide working capital to the company.
- Representing nine guarantors in the workout of a $21 million loan for construction of three lakefront condominium buildings, asserting numerous counterclaims against the lender and obtaining very favorable releases on behalf of the guarantors.
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of an electric cooperative, natural gas affiliate and energy services corporation in a contested hearing before the Georgia Public Service Commission.
- Obtaining an arbitration award in excess of $3 million on behalf of a minority shareholder in an investment-advisory firm after a 2-week arbitration.
- Representing mezzanine lender in connection with workout of multi-million dollar loans secured by equity interests in shopping centers across the Southeast.
- Serving as primary counsel to a local school district in connection with construction issues related to a $700 million construction program, providing advice with respect to procurement, bond, lien and payment issues, acceleration and delay claims, contract interpretation and dispute resolution.
- Representing a local school district in connection with contractor’s default on two middle school projects and negotiating completion of projects by surety company under the performance bonds.
- Representing a mechanical contracting firm in correction with successfully enforcing a Shareholder Agreement against a minority shareholder.
- Represented leading developer of senior living communities in connection with financing, developing and sale of projects throughout the State of Georgia.
- Represented owner of senior living communities in South Georgia in connection with sale and leaseback transaction with leading publicly-traded senior living REIT.
- Represented European-based company in connection with multi-million dollar acquisition of Georgia-based manufacturing firm and subsequent resolution of post-closing disputes with former owners.
- Represented design-builder in connection with negotiation and work-out of projects disputes on $21 million food processing facility in upstate New York; resolved approximately $3 million of disputes, including sub-contractor claims, errors and omissions claims, defective construction, and delay claims after a 4-day, 12-party mediation.
- Represented software development company in connection with negotiation of strategic investment by a venture capital fund, including an S-corp inversion transaction necessary to complete investment.
- Serving as primary outside counsel to a locally-based, national general contracting firm and providing general day-to-day business advice on commercial and retail projects throughout the country.
- Representing owners of durable medical equipment in connection with $11 million sale of company to publicly traded competitor.
- Representing publishing company in connection with purchasing daily and weekly newspapers and related assets with bankruptcy trustee in transaction governed by the Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Representing developer of industrial real estate projects in connection with acquisition, financing and development of a $20 million plus warehouse facility, including negotiation and closing of joint venture with a leading private equity fund and raising equity capital from local investors.