George Kleeman is a member of Gregory Doyle’s Business and Transactional Law practice. He represents business owners, investors, private equity funds, venture capital groups, and lenders in mergers and acquisitions, business purchases and sales, debt and equity financings, formation and start up, real estate transactions, joint ventures, spinoffs, restructurings, formation of investment funds, corporate governance issues and assisting with business succession planning. Mr. Kleeman also has significant experience serving as outside counsel for businesses from sole proprietorships to closely held and middle-market companies, and even publicly-traded companies, assisting them with their everyday business needs, including reviewing, drafting and negotiating all manner of business contracts, providing practical legal advice on day-to-day business issues, and coordinating and overseeing legal work performed by other Practice Groups at the Firm for those businesses. He has also litigated numerous business disputes including: shareholder and partnership disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, workouts, construction disputes, and general contractual and breach of contract claims.
Mr. Kleeman also represents several local and regional banks, as well as mezzanine and private lenders, in negotiating and documenting multi-million dollar loans, including secured and unsecured lines of credit, senior and junior real estate loans, and asset-based lending transactions. Mr. Kleeman also serves as borrower’s counsel for the Firm’s clients including individuals, real estate developers, and manufacturing and other businesses in negotiating and closing complex loan and debt financing transactions.
A large portion of Mr. Kleeman’s practice also involves representing owners (both public and private), general contractors, subcontractors, material and equipment suppliers and developers in construction matters, including drafting and negotiating construction contracts, procurements related issues, negotiating and resolving issues including acceleration, disruption and delay claims, payment, bond and lien disputes, design disputes, and contract interpretation and performance issues.
Mr. Kleeman’s clients include entrepreneurs and businesses in the banking and finance, construction, energy, food services, health care, insurance, manufacturing, real estate and technology industries, as well as local governmental agencies.
NOTABLE CLIENT HIGHLIGHTS
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Representing family-owned home services company in connection with reorganization and sale to publicly-traded competitor in excess of $100MM
- Representing a closely-held specialty pharmacy in sale of company to one of the largest health care companies in the U.S.
- Representing software developer in connection with negotiation of $10MM strategic investment by venture capital fund
- Representing developer of MRI centers in connection with $20MM+ sale to local hospital group
- Represented private-equity backed, European-based company in connection with multi-million dollar acquisition of Georgia-based manufacturing firm and subsequent resolution of post-closing claims and disputes with former owners
- Representing owners of durable medical equipment supplier in connection with $10MM+ sale of company to publicly-traded competitor
- Representing family-owned transportation company in connection with acquisition of multiple businesses, entry into new business lines and markets, corporate reorganization and financing transactions
- Representing a regional bank in connection with negotiation and closing of $10MM working capital line of credit and $5MM equipment line of credit to general contractor
- Representing local bank in connection with negotiating and closing $4MM line of credit to leading local homebuilder to refinance intercompany loans and secured by junior interests in properties not yet ready for development
- Representing food processing company in connection with leveraged buyout of second-generation by a third-generation family member, including negotiating and closing on $50MM+ in financing from national lender
- Representing family-owned developer of senior living facilities in connection with acquisition, development and financing of multiple senior living facilities across the State of Georgia and sale and leaseback transactions with publicly-traded REITs
- Representing local manufacturing firm in connection with multiple refinancings of $8MM+ ABL facility with multiple lenders, including private equity firms and regional and national banks
- Representing mezzanine lender in connection with workout of multi-million dollar loans secured by equity interests in grocery-anchored shopping centers throughout the Southeast
- Representing nine guarantors in the workout of $21MM loan for construction of three lakefront condominiums after developer quit on project and fled the country, including asserting numerous counterclaims against the lender and obtaining very favorable releases on behalf of the guarantors
- Representing developers in connection with acquisition, financing and development of senior living facilities and commercial and industrial projects, including negotiation and closing of joint ventures with leading private equity funds and sponsors and assisting in raising equity from local investor groups
- Representing Georgia-based brewery in connection with start-up, real estate acquisition, debt and equity financing transactions, and ongoing operational issues
- Serving as outside general counsel to a national general contracting firm and providing general day-to-day business and legal advice, as well as contract review and negotiation, for commercial and retail projects throughout the United States
- Representing large, family-owned heavy civil contractor in corporate governance matters
- Representing Atlanta-based design-builder in connection with negotiating and work-out of project disputes on $21MM food processing facility in upstate New York; resolved approximately $3MM+ of disputes, including multiple subcontractor claims, errors and omissions claims, defective construction and delay claims, following a 4-day, 12-party mediation
- Serving as primary counsel to a local school district in connection with $700MM+ construction program, including providing advice with respect to procurement, finance, bond, lien and payment disputes, contractor defaults and performance bond claims, acceleration, disruption and delay claims, A/E and design errors and claims, and day-to-day contract interpretation matters
- Representing local school districts in connection with defaults by general contractors and performance bond claims, including negotiating resolutions with surety companies for completion of projects
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, American Bar Association
- Served on State Bar of Georgia’s Committee on the Judiciary
- Co-Founder, Cobb Bar Association Business Law Section
- 2010-2011 President
- Former Trustee of the Cobb Bar Association
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Speaker, “General Conditions, the Rules of the Road,” Fulton County Schools’ Contractor and Vendor Conference (Fall 2012).
- Speaker, “Bonding and Insurance Requirements,” Cobb County Schools’ Contractor and Vendor Conference (Fall 2010).
- Speaker, “Contract Formation and Bid Acceptance,” Metro Regional Education Services Agency (Winter 2011).