Our attorneys are experienced in representing businesses in all phases of the energy business. The firm’s clients include large electric utilities, natural gas distributors, alternative energy providers, suppliers to the oil and gas industry and entrepreneurs developing new energy technologies.
Our corporate and transactional attorneys have significant experience representing energy companies in mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, contractual and intellectual property matters, while our litigation attorneys have substantial experience representing energy companies in administrative proceedings, litigation, arbitrations and governmental investigations. We have also assisted numerous entrepreneurs, consultants and alternative energy providers in the development and growth of the “green energy” industry.
Our industry knowledge and the breadth of our experience distinguish our firm from other middle-market law firms and allow us to develop creative and efficient solutions to help our clients meet their goals and resolve disputes.
NOTABLE CLIENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Served as general counsel to affiliate of large electric cooperative for more than a decade, providing advice on corporate governance, contractual and employment issues as well as leading dozens of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures on behalf of the company and its affiliates.
- Represented large electric cooperative in connection with formation of joint venture for planning and development of two coal-fired power plants; later assisted client in negotiating plan for repayment of development costs by co-ventures after client’s withdrawal from joint venture.
- Represented large electric cooperative in connection with multiple debt refinancings in excess of $300 million.
- Negotiated long-term lease for construction of solar facility in South Georgia.
- Represented multiple utility companies in right-of-way acquisitions.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an electric cooperative, natural gas affiliate and energy services company in a contested proceeding brought by competitors before the Georgia Public Service Commission.
- Represented developer of proprietary system for treatment of fracking water in negotiating joint ventures with oil and gas services companies throughout North America.
- Served as special council to Georgia-based ethanol company in connection with corporate governance reforms and corporate restructuring, negotiation of $115 million construction loan, and drafting, negotiating and litigating construction and supply contracts.
- Obtained a very favorable settlement for founder of green energy software company in suit by investors, alleging over $10 million in damages from theft of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty, after founder was ousted from company by investors and joined competitor.