Government & Real Estate
Our government and real estate practices are closely aligned, and our team is well versed with regard to both.
Our attorneys have extensive experience representing local and state governmental entities and authorities, both from an in-house as well as an outside counsel perspective. Our past experience provides us with a unique knowledge of the inner workings of governmental clients and their inherent political sensitivities.
We have the diverse talent to provide full services to our governmental clients as well as private sector clients who require legal representation in dealing with governmental entities and regulatory agencies, meeting transactional, litigation, and general day-to-day needs. We represent local governments and private property owners in right-of-way acquisitions, condemnations, zoning matters, permitting matters, annexations, and ad valorem tax appeals. We have extensive experience in providing advice and closing services for real estate sales and acquisitions. We draft, review, and advise both governmental and private sector clients with respect to local ordinances and governmental contracts. We sit with boards and councils to advise them in legal matters which arise during public meetings.
Our real estate practice serves both governmental and private sector clients and other secured and unsecured. We advise clients with regard to complex commercial transactions, including SBA loans. We have decades of experience in right-of-way acquisition services, including title certifications, negotiations, closings, and condemnations when necessary.
We also represent clients in real estate litigation matters. We provide representation in title clearance matters, landlord-tenant disputes, dispossessory actions, boundary line disputes, restrictive covenant enforcement and disputes as well as litigation of disputed land title, lien, and title insurance claim defense.
NOTABLE CLIENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Represented the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in the acquisition of nearly 7,000 acres of forest land from multiple sellers.
- Closed or condemned in excess of 8,000 commercial and residential right-of-way acquisitions for numerous local road way improvement projects throughout the State of Georgia.
- Regularly represent several local lenders in closing SBA 7(a) transactions.
- Closed 14 complex land assemblages for creation of large public park.
- Represented a local school district in the purchase of 35 acres of land for the planned future relocation of elementary and middle schools.
- Successfully represented industrial property owners before a local government challenging the planned use of a neighborhood property for the parking of garbage trucks.
- Successfully represented title insurer in a quiet title action involving a $500,000+ lakefront property burdened by a faulty legal description.
- Represented institutional lender in acquisition and financing of a golf and country club.
- Represented local government in the purchase of aging shopping center to renovate into governmental office space.
- Represented a local private school in a $4.6 million real estate acquisition for future expansion.
- Represented multiple municipalities in implementing personnel policies.
- Defended multiple municipalities in lawsuits filed by current and former employees.