Our attorneys have extensive experience helping owners, general contractors, subcontractors and design professionals manage the risks and liabilities inherent in construction projects as well as resolving construction disputes when issues arise.
Before a project begins, our attorneys assist with drafting and negotiating all manner of construction contracts, whether for a small commercial building or for a multi-million dollar industrial facility, in order to address and properly allocate the risks that may arise during construction. Our attorneys are familiar with all methods of project delivery, including design-bid-build, design-build, and CM At-Risk. We are familiar with all major industry-wide contact forms, including the AIA and ConsensusDocs forms, among others. In addition, our attorneys have developed proprietary contact forms for use by our clients, including owner-general contractor, owner-architect, and general contractor-subcontractor agreements.
When disputes about performance or payment arise during the course of construction, Gregory Doyle’s attorneys have the experience and knowledge to assist clients in resolving dispute before the project goes off track. If the issues cannot be resolved, however, our attorneys are prepared to represent contactors or owners in litigation or arbitration proceedings. Our litigation attorneys have significant experience litigating insurance coverage issues should an insurer deny a claim or refuse to cover a loss.
Given the inherent risks and issues with ownership and management of construction companies, Gregory Doyle’s attorneys have the depth to advise the owners and managers of construction firms on such issues. Our attorneys have significant experience assisting construction firms in raising equity, obtaining debt financing and negotiating with surety companies.
Notable Client Highlights
- Represented major metro-Atlanta school districts in all aspects of multi-year construction programs in excess of $500 million, including negotiating for program management services, drafting proprietary contract and procurement forms for client use and regularly advising clients on procurement, bid protests, bond lien and payment issues, acceleration and delay claims, contract interpretation and dispute resolution.
- Represented owner in lawsuit alleging negligent construction and breach of warranty claims against general contractor in connection with failures of multiple mechanically stabilized earthen walls and seeking more than $2 million in damages.
- Assisted father in selling large commercial contracting firm and affiliated construction materials business to son while minimizing tax liability of parties.
- Represented general contractor, subcontractors, owners and their insurers in dozens of construction defect claims.
- Represented large, privately-held heavy civil contractor in connection with corporate governance reforms.
- Represented multiple public owners in negotiations and litigation with performance bond sureties for completion of work and claims for damages after default by general contractors.
- Represented large program management and design firm in corporate governance, contractual and employment matters.
- Represented majority owner of mechanical contracting firm in connection with enforcing favorable buyout provisions of shareholders’ agreement after termination of minority shareholder’s employment.
- Represented state agency in bid protest filed by Chinese state-owned enterprise in connection with $80 million contract reward; protesting bidder abandoned protest after Superior Court denied temporary restraining order seeking to prevent state agency from awarding contract as desired.