Todd E. Hatcher is a member of the Litigation Practice Group at Gregory Doyle and has nearly a quarter century of experience in civil trial and appeal work in state and federal courts. He has obtained an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, signifying a large number of his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence for his legal knowledge, communication skills, and ethical standards. His primary focus is the trial and resolution of cases involving insurance defense claims arising from motor vehicle accidents, premises liability claims, and wrongful death, as well as cases involving business disputes, real estate and construction litigation. Mr. Hatcher also represents creditors in collecting commercial debt in state court and bankruptcy court.
Mr. Hatcher has jury tried numerous cases throughout Georgia and handled numerous appeals to the Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court. In the last two years, Mr. Hatcher has led the argument for his clients in three cases before the Georgia Court of Appeals.
NOTABLE CLIENT HIGHLIGHTS
Some of Mr. Hatcher’s accomplishments include:
- Representing a school district and its employees in obtaining a dismissal of a wrongful death complaint filed by the parent of a student of the school district.
- Representing a creditor in successfully obtaining payment in U.S. Bankruptcy Court of a debt of nearly $800,000, representing the full amount owed to his client.
- Representing a bus driver in obtaining a defense verdict of a personal injury claim.
- Successfully defending a non-profit organization in winning dismissal, based upon charitable immunity, of a wrongful death lawsuit seeking over $17,000,000.
- Representing a housing authority in having a $5,000,000 wrongful death case arising from an apartment fire taken out of default and resolved for $200,000 (4% of amount sought by plaintiff).
- Representing a school district in successfully defeating a bond validation complaint filed by a real estate developer seeking to deprive a school district of $4,200,000 in tax revenue.
- Defending a business and business owner in reaching a settlement of a multi-million dollar Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (“RICO”) case for 3% of amount sought by plaintiff and having criminal charges against business owner dismissed.
- Representing a school district in federal court retaliation case involving First Amendment in obtaining summary judgment as to all of plaintiff’s claims.
- Representing a former partner of a business in obtaining a verdict against the business in his favor awarding him over $150,000 in a partnership break-up case.
- Representing a school district in defeating a request for a temporary restraining order in federal court by a student alleging a violation of his First Amendment rights and obtaining dismissal of the case.
- Representing a sub-contractor in successfully reaching resolution of sixteen wrongful death and catastrophic injury lawsuits arising from a concrete, elevated walkway collapse on a construction site for 3% of the amount sought by the plaintiffs.
- Defending a component manufacturer in a product liability lawsuit involving catastrophic burn injuries and obtaining summary judgment that was affirmed by the Georgia Court of Appeal. Davenport v. Cummins Alabama, Inc., 284 Ga. App. 666, 644 S.E.2d 503 (2007).
- Representing a residential contractor in obtaining a verdict against homeowners for over $100,000 in a breach of contract case that was affirmed by the Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court. Davis v. Whitford Props., 282 Ga. App. 143, 637 S.E.2d 849 (2006).
- Representing a real estate brokerage firm in obtaining summary judgment against its former client for payment of a real estate commission and establishing new appellate law as to the meaning of an exclusive listing agreement form in the Georgia Court of Appeals. Snipes v. Marcene P. Powell and Assoc’s., 273 Ga. App. 814, 616 S.E.2d 152 (2005).
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member, State Bar of Georgia
- Master, Lumpkin Inn of Court
- Member, Cobb County Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute