Richard W. Calhoun concentrates his practice in local government and real estate law, and manages Gregory Doyle’s Real Estate practice in the areas of development, land use, zoning, and eminent domain. He has over 35 years of experience in local government and in all phases of land development and land use including rezoning, variances, utilities, property taxation, and real estate litigation. Mr. Calhoun is an AV Preeminent rated attorney with over 40 reported appellate decisions, and in eminent domain cases. Mr. Calhoun represents condemning authorities as well as landowners, lenders, lessors and lessees. Mr. Calhoun’s familiarity with local codes and his professional relationships with Boards, Commissions, Councils and their staff members also enable the firm to achieve positive results in zoning and land development matters.
Mr. Calhoun was admitted to the Georgia Bar in 1977, and is admitted to practice before The Georgia Court of Appeals, The Georgia Supreme Court, The United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia and The United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. He is also a member of the State Bar of Georgia Local Government, Real Property and Trial Practice sections.
Notable Governmental Practice Highlights
- General representation of cities and counties for over 35 years, Special Assistant Attorney General for State of Georgia for over 5 years.
- Representation of multiple cities, counties and state agencies in condemnations for roads, sewers, water lines, libraries, airport expansions, central business district infrastructure and other public facilities.
- Successfully prosecuted enforcement actions under Metropolitan River Protection Act on behalf of county government.
- Successfully defended numerous challenges to zoning actions on behalf of county governments.
- Successfully defended numerous ad valorem tax appeals on office, industrial, commercial and residential properties for county governments.
- Successfully defended county & city governments in inverse condemnations and related actions.
- Successfully defended municipality in challenge to water/sewer rate structure.
Notable Private Sector Practice Highlights
- Successfully represented metro area developer in annexation, rezoning and approval as Development of Regional Impact for 130 acre mixed use development.
- Successfully represented regional hospital system in various zoning and land use matters including variances for 100 bed patient tower addition, new medical center including 84 bed state of the art hospital, 40 acre medical center complex, contested easement acquisition for expansion of emergency room facilities, including relocated heliport.
- Represented 400 unit multi-family development in resolution of disputed loss of grandfathered status on over 100 units.
- Represented large national paint manufacturer in property tax appeal resulting in 400% reduction of assessment.
- Represented large printing company in condemnation of a portion of site, resulting in verdict 250% higher than city’s appraisal.
- Successfully represented large national convenience store retailer in zoning, rezoning, variance, alcohol licensing, and other matters for new and expanded retail sites.
- Successfully represented various lenders and owners in real estate title litigation involving quiet title actions, equitable subrogation claims, improvement action claims and declaratory judgment actions.
- Successfully represented various residential and commercial property owners and owner associations in zoning & restrictive covenant disputes.
Professional & Community Involvement
- State Bar of Georgia’s Local Government Section
- State Bar of Georgia’s Real Property Section
- State Bar of Georgia’s Trial Practice Section