Melissa W. Gilbert, member of Gregory, Doyle, Calhoun & Rogers LLC’s Estate Planning and Administration section, attended Georgia State University College of Law and Florida State University. Prior to law school, she worked as a Lobbyist and Legislative Assistant in Tallahassee, Florida representing large agribusiness and corporate interests.
Mrs. Gilbert has fifteen years of estate planning and administration experience. Prior to joining Gregory Doyle in 2012, she led estate planning practices for other firms and gained experience in fiduciary litigation and appellate practice. She is a Marietta native who attended Marietta city schools. She and her husband have two daughters.
NOTABLE CLIENT HIGHLIGHTS
Some of Ms. Gilbert’s recent notable client highlights include:
- Successfully argued numerous cases on appeal, including Warner v. Reynolds, 273 Ga. 802, 545 S.E.2nd 520 (2001) (affirming probate of will under the doctrine of dependent relative revocation and establishing the evidentiary standard of proof.); Howard v. Estate of Howard, 249 Ga. App. 287, 548 S.E.2nd 48 (2001) (upholding actions by her client, a Guardian who had altered the testamentary scheme of the ward, and reaffirming the doctrine of ademption); Estate of Reece, 243 Ga. App. 173 532 S.E.2d 726 (2000) (affirming dismissal of a Petition for Year’s Support against her client’s father’s estate); Higginbotham v. Rice, 271 Ga. 262, 517 S.E.2d 764 (1999) (granting certiorari wherein the Georgia Supreme Court reversed 265 Ga. App. 378, 508 S.E.2d 199 (1998), and required the dismissal of a caveat against the estate she represented.
- Lead estate planning departments for two prior firms.
- Administered numerous probate and guardianship estates.
- Developed and implemented numerous estate planning strategies, including tax planning wills, advanced health care directives, powers of attorney, and trusts.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- First Presbyterian Church (ordained Elder on rotation, former Deacon, Chairman of the search committee for the Adult Discipleship Director, KA-BAM small group leader, acolyte coordinator, member of Worship Council.)
- Member, Wellstar Community Hospice Board
- Member, Walker School Association Board
- Past co-Chair of Cobb Landmarks and Historical Society
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Panelist/presenter at several legal seminars on Estate Administration, Guardianship, and Elder Law